Thursday, September 17, 2015

Frostfire by: Amanda Hocking

Title:  Frostfire
Author:  Amanda Hocking
Genre:  Fantasy, Romance, YA/Teen
Age:  12+
Rating:  3.5 out of 5 stars

Summary:

Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes.

Set apart by her heritage and her past, Bryn is a tracker who's determined to become a respected part of her world. She has just one goal: become a member of the elite King’s Guard to protect the royal family. She's not going to let anything stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss Ridley Dresden.

But all her plans for the future are put on hold when Konstantin– a fallen hero she once loved – begins kidnapping changelings. Bryn is sent in to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?


Reaction:

I'll be completely honest right now, there are only two reasons why I picked up this book in the first place:  #1:  That cover is absolutely gorgeous!  #2:  I've seen this series all over the place!  At the library, in Walmart, on Goodreads...the list goes on and on.  So finally, one day I just picked it up.  I thought that the book was mediocre...it wasn't good, but it wasn't bad either.  Frostfire was one of those in-between books.  I thought that the world building was a little lazy and didn't make sense, but I don't blame it on this series because it is a prequel series to the Trylle trilogy series (which I haven't read...oops.)  I did find this book very action packed and funny though, so those were redeeming factors.

Characters:

Bryn Aven:
Ehh, Bryn was mediocre, just like this book.  She could be very whiney at times and was a complete jerk and awful friend at other times.  I will say this though, Bryn is very hardworking and doesn't give up on anything that she does.  If I was to rate Bryn on a character scale I would give her 4 out of 10 points.

Ridley Dresden:
I basically know nothing about this man...the book didn't tell me anything!!!  Urg, it's so frustrating!  I liked Ridley because A)  He didn't whine B)  He was hardworking and C)  He's a good friend...but, Ridley also is a major player and cheats in relationships, no less, so major points taken off for that!  If I was to rate Ridley on the character scale I would give him a solid 5 out of 10 stars...I liked him a little bit better than Bryn.

Romance:

Lol, what romance?  I don't see a romance!  *Squints at book*  Oh wait!  I see it now...I think? 

Overall:

If your looking for a book to keep you interested for a short period of time but won't leave you with a book hangover whatsoever, this is the book for you.  I am planning to read the next book in the series purely because I am curious to see what happens next.  I'm really hoping that the next book will help redeem the series from the pretty big hole its dug itself into...

FALL IS COMING!!!!!  -Terantum

No comments:

Post a Comment