Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Red Queen by: Victoria Aveyard

Title:  Red Queen
Author:  Victoria Aveyard
Genre:  High fantasy, romance, YA/Teen
Age:  12+
Rating:  A BILLION MIND-BLOWING STARS!!!!!  (5 out of 5 stars)

Summary:

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?  (Taken from the Goodreads website)


Reaction:

Dear Ms. Victoria Aveyard,

I once watched the move "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" in which there is a character (played by Jim Carrey) who is in a TV show called "The Brain Rapist", in which this magician messes with your mind.  You, Ms. Aveyard are also a "brain rapist".  I know this sounds weird but I mean it in all the best ways.  You made me have ALL the feels...all of them.  I'm still reeling from this book.  And that plot twist...ohmigosh.  I can't even.  I never saw that plot twist coming!  Can you please write more of everything?  Seriously guys, this woman knows how to write a story that will never make you want to put the book down!  You are amazballs.

Sincerely,
Terantum

Characters:

Mare Barrow:
Mare, my friends, is the Red Queen.  She is a redblood who has the power to control lightning.  A power that no other red or silver, for that matter, has.  I loved Mare.  She was snarky, kind, and fought hard for what she believed was right.  Mare is defiantly no Mary Sue.  I cannot wait to see what she holds in store for us.

Maven:
"I knew you were trouble when you walked in..."  I shall say no more.

Cal:
"I knew you were trouble when you walked in..."  I shall say no more for Cal either.  

I'm really sorry for the vague explanation of these two characters, but this is a spoiler free zone and really saying anything about these two characters will pretty much give everything in the story away.  And I literally mean everything...

Overall:

I.  Need.  More.  This is one of the best high fantasy books I've read in a long time that has actually made me feel something (besides "Kiss of Deception", of course).  This is a fantastic, original story, and I think all of the people saying that this is just like "Red Rising" are lying to themselves.  These two stories are nothing alike.  I cannot wait for the next book to come out.  I think I might die waiting for it.

Terantum want a bookie?  -Terantum   

No comments:

Post a Comment