Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Jewel by Amy Ewing

I must say I’m kinda disappointed. A few weeks ago when I read the synopsis I fell in love with the idea of the book. Let’s just say I’m less than pleased.
Violet is born special and by that it means she has this special power and can bear children. As told by the government all girls who can do this shall be raised in a holding facility to teach them to be a good servant… or a slave as they really are. Therefore when she finishes training she shall be sold to royalty who cannot bear children and have the child for them.
Okay yeah the concept is REALLY warped. And let me correct something; it is not The Selection meets The Handmaid’s Tale but it’s The Selection meets The Chemical Garden Trilogy by Lauren DeStefano (and we ALL know how that went down if you don’t I suggest you save yourself the time and just trust me on this). To me this book felt like it wanted to be an adult book but stayed behind because the YA market is better. It would have fared better in the adult market.
As I’m questioning what lead me to the moment that caused me to read this I give it this rating: 3.1 out of 5 stars


Want to chat with me about books? Follow me on Twitter @SweetEndReviews
For the latest and greatest news like me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SweetEndReviews

No comments:

Post a Comment