Saturday, March 21, 2015

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by: Rick Riordan

Title:  Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
Author:  Rick Riordan
Genre:  Mythology, Adventure, Middle Grade
Age:  ANY AGE (yep...that's the first time I've ever said that)
Rating:  5 out of 5 stars (my brother says I should rate it 6 out of 5)

Summary: 

Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse-Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends -- one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena -- Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.  (Taken from the Goodreads Website)

Reaction:

I am really late joining this bandwagon!  But hey, now here I am...a teenager reading middle grade stuff and I'm loving it!  Actually this started out as a "bet" with my brother.  If I read the Percy Jackson series he would read the Eragon series.  I really did not think that I would enjoy reading Percy Jackson but I surprised myself by loving it completely.  Sure, the writing is simple but the plot and research that had to go into this novel had to be INSANE!  Seriously guys, no matter if you are twelve or twenty five you are guaranteed to love reading this book.  I will go as far as to say that this brings me back to the days of my reading of Harry Potter.  

Characters:

Perseus "Percy" Jackson (aka Seaweed Brain): 
Percy is a brave little wimp, which is an oxymoron, but if you read the series it will make perfect sense.  If Percy was in the Harry Potter world he would surely be a Gryffindor.  Percy is always willing to stand up for his friends and what he believes in.  I would also go as far to say that he is a little too trusting.  I hope for the best for this little demigod.

Annabeth Chase (aka Wise Girl):
Annabeth is the epitome of a smartass (please excuse my French), but that is what makes her so loveable.  Annabeth is a daughter of Athena, which means that she is not only smart but also great at battle strategy.  Even though she starts out "hating" Percy, they eventually grow to be good friends.  Like Percy, Annabeth is also willing to do anything to protect her friends.  Annabeth reminds me of Hermione a little bit, which means I would place her in Gryffindor (can I put her in Gryffinclaw?  Can she be a Gryffindor-Ravenclaw?)

Grover Underwood (aka G-man): 
Poor, poor baby Grover (even though he is nowhere near a baby).  Grover has had a pretty hard time as a satyr, but like Neville Longbottom, Grover has more to offer than what might be originally thought.  I actually thought Grover was one of the bravest of our three heroes, even if he might not act like it.  I hope good things happen to Grover.  Also a Gryffindor.


Overall:

Why haven't I read this before?  Why did my brother have to be the one to recommend this to me?  But hats off to you baby bro, you did a great justice with this series.  All in all, I need the next one now (hehehe I already have it in my possession!).  This might be one of the last middle grade book I read in a while, but I'm glad this is the one that I chose.

Wanting to go to Camp Half Blood  -Terantum

No comments:

Post a Comment