Monday, March 23, 2015

The Kiss of Deception by: Mary E. Pearson

Title:  The Kiss of Deception
Author:  Mary E. Pearson
Genre:  High fantasy, Romance, YA/Teen
Age:  13+
Rating:  5 out of 5 stars

Summary:

A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love. (Taken from the Goodreads Website)


Reaction:

Holy Shizballs!  What did I just read?  I have no words, none.  Mary E. Pearson if you ever read this I just want to tell you that you are a genius and the master of plot twists, because that plot twist though!  Just go and read the book...  When I started this book it was a little slow, but the slowness only lasted about 20 pages for me.  After that...well, it was a thrill ride.  I just couldn't put this book down!  Rafe or Kaden can I have you both?  I don't care that *insert one of those two characters, because I don't want to spoil anything* is an assassin!  My heart still beats for both of you!

Characters:

Princess Arabella Celestine Idris Jezelia, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan (aka Lia):
Sheesh, what a mouthful!  If I had that title I would sure want a one syllable nickname as well!  Anyways.  Lia is a kick butt awesome princess.  She doesn't shy away from labor work even though she is not accustom to it.  Lia is brave, smart, and strong.  She is everything I could ever, ever want in a heroine.  There was one scene that involved Lia and some grave digging (I won't give anything away) that especially moved me.  If I could have dinner with a female fictional character of my choice Lia would be at the top of the list!

Pauline:
Poor, poor Pauline :( I feel for you girl!  Pauline is also a strong female character just like Lia.  Pauline leaves everything that she knows to run away from the kingdom with Lia even though she knows the consequences of getting caught.  I hope that her baby is going to be cute and that Mikael hangs himself.

Rafe:
I love you...*cough, cough* just kidding.  I'm sorry Rafe my heart already has someone (Stephen).  Anyways.  Rafe is a-w-e-s-o-m-e awesome, awesome that is he (changed up that song a bit).  Rafe is handsome, strong, brooding, and kind.  He is willing to help Lia and friends in any situation.  Basically he is awesomesauce. 

Kaden:
Don't worry Kaden I love you too.  Kaden is also handsome, strong, and kind.  He also likes to help Lia out, which is sweet of him.  But, my friends, Kaden has a secret -_- I hate secrets.

I'm not going to say much more about Rafe and Kaden because that would give a lot of stuff away.  I'm also not going to say who is the assassin and who is the prince.  You're just going to have to figure that one out for yourself.

Overall:

This book made me have all the feels.  I had to come out into the kitchen at 9:30 at night just so I could tell my family the plot twist (still reeling from that plot twist).  Save yourself the heartbreak and get this book...pretty please!

I.  Need.  More.  Now.  -Terantum

2 comments:

  1. You just explained all of my feelings after reading this. I still have a book hangover from it. I did get an ARC of Heart of Betrayal and finished that too, so now I just don't know what to do with myself. Several of the reviews I read mentioned confusion/dislike of the plot twist, but I about jumped out of my chair upon comprehending the complete awesomeness of what had taken place. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad that you liked the review (and the book, of course). I cannot wait to see what the next book brings us *crosses fingers* hoping for some more complete awesomeness.

      Delete