Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Shades of London by: Maureen Johnson

Title:  The Name of the Star
Author:  Maureen Johnson
Genre:  Light Romance, Mystery, Thriller, YA/Teen
Age:  12+
Rating: 5000 out of 5 stars, just kidding 5 out of 5 stars

Summary:


Jack the Ripper is back, and he's coming for Rory next....
Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London to start a new life at boarding school just as a series of brutal murders mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper killing spree of more than a century ago has broken out across the city. The police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man believed to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him - the only one who can see him. And now Rory has become his next target...unless she can tap her previously unknown abilities to turn the tables.

Reaction:


WARNING:  Before we start the reaction section I have to say this:  there will be an excess amount of fan art in this review.   Okay, now on to my actual reaction...HOLY CRAP!  Can I possibly make this my new favorite series ever?  I mean it has everything that I love, the main thing being the fact that the main character goes to a boarding school in London even though she is from America.  I started this book one day, finished it, started the next one the next day, finished it (that was today btw), (I will review the 2nd book on Thursday).  I have also acquired a new fictional crush...Stephen Dene.  This is probably my biggest fictional crush right now.  I also ship "Story" with all my heart.  This is a picture of these two on the left.

Characters:

Rory:  I want to be her.  She's so awesome, strong, brave, amazing, cool, and a thousand more adjectives that I don't even know.  She isn't afraid to help the people that she loves and is constantly risking her own life for others around her.  She also loves to eat which is a bonus.

Stephen:  Sorry, I need a quick swoon moment because I love him so much.  He is basically the same person as Rory...but not.  Stephen is strong, kind, brave, and also willing to sacrifice himself for the people he loves.  But unlike Rory he is more silent and serious, while Rory likes to talk and is kind of "eccentric."

Boo:  I laughed nearly every time Boo was mentioned.  She was so funny and a great person to boot! 

Callum:  I never really connected with Callum, but he was a great addition to the story and I also ship Boo and Callum so hard!

Overall:

Can these books just never end?  I just find myself constantly talking and thinking about this series.  It is wonderfully written and has such a great plot!  So, I am going to give this book a 6 out of 5 stars just because it deserves it.  I cannot wait to share the next book with you soon!

Happy Giggles -Terantum

Btw Cait and I have both read this book and would be happy to discuss this book with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment