Thursday, February 5, 2015

A New Reviewer In Town

Hey y'all!  I'm a new reviewer joining SweetEnd Book Reviews!  My name is Terantum and I'm Cait's bestie.  I actually had my own book blog before this one but that one never did so great...if you want to check it out here it is:  thesecretalcove.weebly.com (I will no longer be continuing this blog).  I will be writing a review or something every other day while Cait writes on my off days!  I hope that you guys find that we work well together and that this blog stays enjoyable!

(Sneak Peak) If you guys want to see what my writing style is like and how I write reviews here is one of my more funny ones *this does contain some spoilers from the story just to be warned!*:

Title:  The Goddess Test

Author:  Aimee Carter

Genre:  Mythology (Greek), romance, YA/Teen

Age Group:  12+

Rating:  4 out of 5 stars




I've been wanting to read this book for a while now, but I haven't had the heart to buy it.  The Goddess Test wasn't at the library either when I check the first couple of times.  But then I checked the library site again the other day and I found that it was there, so naturally I ordered it so I could read it.  It came in, I read it, and now here we are.

Summary: 

Every girl who had taken the test has died.

Now it's Kate's turn.

It's always been just Kate and her mom - and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld - and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy - until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

If she fails...  (Taken from the Goodreads site).

I didn't like this book as much as I thought that I would.  I will admit there was a few times when I got excited, like at the end when she is being rated on her tests, the Christmas scene, and the part with Calliope (if you read the book you know what I am talking about.)  But, really besides those parts the rest of the book went something like this *Entering Spoiler Section*:

Kate:  "Hey I'm new!"
Ava:  "You talked to my boyfriend and now I'm jealous, but I have an evil plan to shake things up, and that's the gospel truth."  (hehehe I threw some Hercules in there)
Kate:  "I'm totally oblivious that you hate me, so of course I'll come with you to a bonfire!  Oh by the way, I don't date!"
Ava:  *Cracks skull on rock*
Kate:  "Oh crap what do I do?  Well, I have two options:  A.  Leave her to die because she played a mean trick on me or option B.  Save her.  I'm a kind hearted soul I guess I'll save her."
(All the while Kate's mom is dying of cancer)
Ava:  *Is dead*
Kate:  "Oh no she's dead it's all my fault."
Henry:   "I'm so hot and mysterious.  If you make a deal with me I'll save her."
Kate:  "OMG you're so hot!  I guess I'll sell my soul to you so she can be saved."
Henry:  *Brings Ava back to life*
Ava:  "Hey guys!  What happened?  Guess what #notdead"
Kate:  "OMG!"
(Mom still has cancer)
*later on
Kate:  "Oh no!  Henry help me!  Ava died again and I need you to save her!"
Henry:  "Will you become my bride if I do?"
Kate:  "Fine whatev's.  Just make sure my mom gets saved too!"
Henry:  "Kk."
*later on
Kate:  "Like seriously?  I hate this place, but Henry's hot even though I don't date.  And like I can't believe I have to wear dresses."
*later on
Kate:  "I'm going to kiss you Henry!  Even though I don't date."
Henry:  "Kk."
*Proceeds to smooch for an extended period of time.
*later on
Calliope:  "Ha ha!  Surprise attack!  Henry's mine and now I'm loco crazy!  Stab stab time!"
Kate:  "Ahh!"
Henry:  "I'll bring you back from the dead!"
(mom is now dead)
Kate:  "Holy crap!"
*later on
The Council:  "You are now the Goddess of the Underworld."
Kate:  "#bawler"
Henry:  "Time to get married in twenty minutes!"
Kate:  "Kk.  Even though I don't date!"
THE END

Seriously, that was pretty much the whole book except I took a few things out.  So, if you like a soap opera and a book combined The Goddess Test is definitely for you!

-Review by Terantum

No comments:

Post a Comment