Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Prep School Confidential by: Kara Taylor

Title:  Prep School Confidential
Author: Kara Taylor
Genre: Mystery, romance, YA/Teen
Age Group: 12+
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Summary:

In this breathtaking debut that reads like Gossip Girl crossed with Twin Peaks, a Queen Bee at a blue-blooded New England prep school stumbles into a murder mystery.

Anne Dowling practically runs her exclusive academy on New York’s Upper East Side—that is, until she accidentally burns part of it down and gets sent to a prestigious boarding school outside of Boston. Determined to make it back to New York, Anne couldn't care less about making friends at the preppy Wheatley School. That is, until her roommate Isabella’s body is found in the woods behind the school.

When everyone else is oddly silent, Anne becomes determined to uncover the truth no matter how many rules she has to break to do it. With the help of Isabella’s twin brother Anthony, and a cute classmate named Brent, Anne discovers that Isabella wasn’t quite the innocent nerdy girl she pretended to be. But someone will do anything to stop Anne’s snooping in this fast-paced, unputdownable read—even if it means framing her for Isabella’s murder.  (Taken from the Goodreads Website)


Reaction: 

First of all that cover is pretty sweet...sorry I just had to say that and get it out of the way.  Now on to the actual review of this book:  I really enjoyed "Prep School Confidential", it had everything that I was looking for: an exciting mystery, a sweet romance (love triangle), and a fast-paced plot.

Characters:

Anne:  I really liked Anne.  She was a believable character but sometimes was a little "over-the-top".  I did enjoy about how she never took her rich girl status to the extreme.  She was never too mean or rude to anybody in her school and she mostly kept her rude comments to herself.

Isabella:  I am sad she died.  That's about it.  I didn't know this character for long because she was killed *duh*, but in that short period of time I found her to be a very likeable character.  She even reminded me a bit of myself.

Brent:  I found him to be the more likeable of the two love interests.  He was kind, helped Anne when she needed it, and was never too pushy or annoying...on the other hand...

Anthony:  I hated him.  For some reason Anthony bugged me and was on my nerves.  I was so happy when he was barely in this book.

Overall:

Overall I enjoyed this novel very much.  It could have been even better if the author just put a little more thought into it.  The novel felt kind of short and I felt like the suspense was dragged out and then the mystery itself was solved in about thirty pages.  Anyways, if you enjoy a good boarding school murder mystery novel, this book is right up your alley!  

Peace out, Terantum   

No comments:

Post a Comment