Monday, February 23, 2015

Love and Other Foreign Words by: Erin McCahan

Title:  Love and Other Foreign Words
Author: Erin McCahan
Genre: Contemporary, Romance,Chick lit, Humor, YA/Teen
Age Group:  12+
Rating:  4.5 out of 5 stars

Summary: 

Can anyone be truly herself--or truly in love--in a language that's not her own?
Sixteen-year-old Josie lives her life in translation. She speaks High School, College, Friends, Boyfriends, Break-ups, and even the language of Beautiful Girls. But none of these is her native tongue -- the only people who speak that are her best friend Stu and her sister Kate. So when Kate gets engaged to an epically insufferable guy, how can Josie see it as anything but the mistake of a lifetime? Kate is determined to bend Josie to her will for the wedding; Josie is determined to break Kate and her fiancé up. As battles are waged over secrets and semantics, Josie is forced to examine her feelings for the boyfriend who says he loves her, the sister she loves but doesn't always like, and the best friend who hasn't said a word -- at least not in a language Josie understands.  (Taken From the Goodreads Website)

Reaction:

Well, well, well, wasn't that just a surprising little gem of a book!  I usually don't like reading cutesy, little contemporary novels because they are either so much like real life that it depresses me or they are so far off of real life I wonder how it is even considered contemporary, but this book was the real deal.  Surprisingly it had just the right amount of romance that it wasn't overpowering but a cute addition to the real story.  The actual story was more about finding yourself and connecting with your family.  Needless to say...I loved, loved, loved this book!!!!!

The Characters:

Josie:  Josie is fifteen years old (almost sixteen) and is gifted, meaning that she is extremely intelligent.  She is not only smart in required subjects: Math, English, Science, etc., but she has a surprising knack for languages.  I really liked Josie.  She felt very real to me and went through problems that I feel are completely understandable such as: not liking her sister's fiancée, thinking her sister's fiancée is breaking up her and her sister's relationship, having boy trouble, liking and older man, etc.  Josie went through a lot of trouble to deal with her problems and didn't just whine about them throughout the book.  If she wanted something to happen, she made it happen.  Josie was just the bomb diggadie. 

Side Characters (Stu, Stefan, Ethan, Kate, Mom/Dad, Geoff, etc.):  The side characters were a wonderful addition to the story!  I felt like I could connect with them which made me feel like I was experiencing the story and not just reading it!  The author did a really great job at building up a personality for all of her characters which made the story a win!

Overall:

This story was a win.  I loved it sooooo much!  I don't really have much to say about this novel other then how fantastic it was!  The only reason that I took of .5% was because the story did have one or two times where the plot dragged, which I really, really, really do not enjoy.  But, I can't complain because overall this book was a cute little work of art.  If you guys want something to read after a book hangover this one is for you!!!!

Adios (My computer won't let me add the accent over the "o" -_-) -Terantum

No comments:

Post a Comment